Tuesday, 10 May 2011

MMORPG

Blimey, I'd better make this a cracking first post.  Got to keep you here now you've found my little blog.  With that in mind, I'll try to include a bit of everything in this one post, whilst keeping it short enough to not bore you to sleep - but long enough to engage you.  Hmmmm.  Tricky. 

I'm a smart guy though, so I'll give it a shot. 

MMORPGs.  For the elder reader and the uninitiated, I'll give it its full title, just this once mind.   Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game(s).  Sounds geeky and weird, like the sort of thing you’d have to dress up as a wizard to take part in.  And it’s the words “Role Playing” that make it sound seedy. 

But whenever you play a computer game, whatever the game, you take on a role.  Grand Theft Auto.  Brilliant game.  But when you play it, you take on the role of the lead character.  It’s part of the game.  Mario?  Yep, to a degree it’s the same.  Call Of Duty?  Damn straight, but it’s still role playing.  Football Manager?  Absolutely – you play the role of a football manager.  Unless you ARE a football manager (why would you play FM if you were?  Busmans holiday?) then you are ROLE PLAYING.

But the seedy undertones only seem to apply to “online” games.  Ones that are only played online with hundreds of thousands of other seedy, geeks.  So why is there this connection? 

The truth of the matter is:  I don’t know.  I was researching it earlier, but I got distracted by stories on Leeroy Jenkins.  Maybe I’ll look into it in more detail, and visit some Role Playing specific sites.  You know, the ones where they really do wear the outfits.  Mmmmm Female Elves….

So why am I even mentioning MMORPGs?  Mainly because I’m a gamer.  Including MMOs.  And no, I do not have a wizards outfit.  Well, not one I wear to play computer games anyway.  

My current game of choice is RIFT, a “Dynamic Fantasy MMORPG.  It’s a pretty new MMO that has everything an experienced gamer will want.  PvP, PvE, instances and a little extra.  I’m not going to go into a full review now, but it’s safe to say that it’s an enjoyable game with nice gameplay and shiny graphics.  I will do a review at some point, along with some of the other games I’ve played.  

I think that is enough for Version 2.0 post 1.  Not too long, not too short and I'm sure there is a funny bit somewhere.  Admittedly, you might have to look quite hard for it.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment